Welcome to the media center for the Elgin Area in Illinois. If you are researching and writing stories on the area, you’ll find information here on events, attractions, businesses and adventures.
Facts about the Elgin Area
- Elgin was founded in 1835 by the Gifford Brothers, who were attracted to the Fox River on their trek west.
- Elgin is named after the Scottish Hymn the song of Elgin.
- Elgin is located 35 miles northwest of Chicago.
- Elgin had a total population of 108,188 as of the 2010 census, making it the eight largest city in Illinois, and the 241st largest city in the USA.
- The last four stops of the Chicago’s Metra Milwaukee District/West Line are in the Elgin Area. The Pace bus system serves the communities in the area.
- The Elgin Public Museum founded in 1907, is the oldest purpose built museum in Illinois.
- America’s longest highway, US Route 20, runs through the Elgin Area.
- Illinois Railway Museum, in Union, is the largest railway museum in the United States.
- Muirhead Farmhouse, in Hampshire, is the only farmhouse ever designed and built by Frank Lloyd Wright in his lifetime.
- In 2010, Good Morning America crowned 2nd Street in West Dundee the Best Block in America.
- The Headless Horseman makes an appearance on Halloween every year in Sleepy Hollow. This is a community tradition that brings all the families together.
- Bartlett is home to North America’s largest traditional Hindu mandir, the B.A.P.S. Shri Swaminarayan.
- Carpentersville is home to the 25-acre bike park, Andres Bike Park.
- In 2011, the Village of South was ranked in the CNN/Money’s Top 100 again for economic strength, great job opportunities, top schools and safe streets.
- Santa’s Village Azoosment Park, in East Dundee, is celebrating 55 years of bringing thousands of guests from all over the country!
Arts capital of the suburbs
Elgin is becoming increasingly recognized for its edgy creative scene and vibrant arts community.
- The Elgin Symphony Orchestra performs at the Hemmens Cultural Center.
- Live artist interpretations take place weekly at Side Street Studio.
- Work from local artists lines the walls of Artspace and HOTI Design.
- Festivals include Art & Soul on the Fox and Elgin Fringe Festival.
Fox River Bike Trail
Explore over 40 miles of bike trail built on former railroad tracks, passing through 11 local communities. Find out more about the Fox River Bike Trail.
Golf lovers’ paradise
The Elgin Area is particularly rich in great public golf courses.
- Highlands of Elgin was #2 on Golfweek’s list of the best State by State Courses you can play.
- Highlands of Elgin was also listed #8 by Golfweek in their list of Best Municipal Courses.
- Wing Park Course is the oldest nine-hole municipal golf course in Illinois, established in 1908.
Many of the communities in the Elgin Area were founded to build and service the railroads in the area. The area is now rich in railroad history.
- Take the Metra from Chicago to honor the region’s railroad pride.
- Visit the Fox River Trolley Museum in South Elgin.
- Visit the Illinois Railway Museum, in Union, the largest railway museum in the USA.
Check out our newest Visitors Guide! >>> Click Here
Judson University’s Shark Tank Competition Fires Up Next WeekJudson University’s fifth Shark Tank event will take place on Thursday, Nov. 15 at 7 p.m. in Herrick Chapel (1151 N. State Street, Elgin). The finalists have been selected. The judges are in place, and the stage is set for the top competitors to win nearly $2,000 in prize money. Inspired by ABC Network’s business competition...
Professional Baseball Player Chris Singleton Brings Message of Love to ChapelChris Singleton, a professional baseball player in the Chicago Cubs organization, will be the guest speaker for Judson’s Preview Day chapel event on Columbus Day, Oct. 8, at 10 a.m. in Herrick Chapel (1151 N. State St., Elgin). The event is free and open to the public. Formerly of Goose Creek, S.C., Singleton was selected by the...
Christian Band Sons of Korah to Lead Worship in ChapelJudson University will soon welcome members of the Sons of Korah band to campus. The Australian Christian group, which uses the Book of Psalms as the basis of its musical repertoire, will lead worship during chapel on Friday, Oct. 5, at 10 a.m. at Herrick Chapel (1151 N. State St., Elgin). The event is free and open...
Elgin Area Convention & Visitors Bureau Hosts Meeting and Wedding Planner TourThe Elgin Area Convention & Visitors Bureau (EACVB) will be hosting the Elgin Area Special Events Tour on Tuesday, October 2nd. Professional event planners from all across the Chicagoland area have been invited to spend the day touring 10 venues that can host everything from a small, intimate wedding to large meetings. The guided tour...
Comics Scholar Dr. Terry Wandtke Releases New Book and Serves as Curator for Local ExhibitJudson Literature and Film Professor Dr. Terry Wandtke recently released his newest book, “The Comics Scare Returns: The Contemporary Resurgence of Horror Comics” (RIT Press, 2018). This is Dr. Wandtke’s fifth book on the serious nature of comics. Among his other tomes are: “The Meaning of Superhero Comic Books,” “The Amazing Transforming Superhero! Essays on...
Judson University Among the Best Online Colleges in Illinois for 2018Judson University has been named among BestColleges.com’s Best Online Colleges in Illinois for 2018. Ranked at No. 16 on the list of 25 accredited online Illinois-based colleges, Judson was honored for its Christian worldview, financial aid packages, internship/study abroad opportunities and undergraduate programs in disciplines such as Business Administration, Applied Psychology and Human Services that...
Elgin Fringe Festival Set to Begin Fifth YearThe Elgin Fringe Festival (EFF) will open its fifth year next month when performances featuring dance, music, theater, and the undefined descend upon the downtown. The two-weekend festival will run Friday, September 7 through Sunday, September 16. This year’s festival will host more than 100 performances at a variety spaces that are easily within walking...
Two High School Students to Be Honored for Achievements; Sophomores Competed in Special Olympics, International History CompetitionThe School District U-46 Board of Education Monday will recognize two students for their recent achievements, one in an international history competition and the other in the Illinois Special Olympics. Zuzanna Lapa won the film category in her age group in a historical competition organized by a Polish organization called the Remembrance Committee of Captain Witold Pilecki....
U-46 Welcomes New AdministratorsSchool District U-46 is preparing for the 2018-19 school year with new leaders stepping into top administrator roles. Some of these professionals have recently joined the District, or have been promoted from within U-46 to serve a new role. U-46 District and school administrators oversee schools, District-wide programs and services, collaborate with staff and teachers, and guide our families to help...
Announcing a New Downtown Neighborhood Association of Elgin Office LocationThe Downtown Neighborhood Association of Elgin (DNA) has moved to a new office space located at 31 S. Grove Avenue, Suite 100, in downtown Elgin on August 1, 2018. The new office space, located in the former Woolworth department store building, a building owned by the City of Elgin, also houses offices for the Elgin Area...
View Press Releases
Sign up for the Elgin Area Tourism Bureau’s newsletter
Sign up for our newsletter to find out about upcoming Elgin Area meetings and events, business and networking events, tradeshows and marketing opportunities.