Welcome to the media center for the Elgin Area in Illinois. If you are researching and writing stories on the area, you’ll find information here on events, attractions, businesses and adventures.
Facts about the Elgin Area
- Elgin was founded in 1835 by the Gifford Brothers, who were attracted to the Fox River on their trek west.
- Elgin is named after the Scottish Hymn the song of Elgin.
- Elgin is located 35 miles northwest of Chicago.
- Elgin had a total population of 108,188 as of the 2010 census, making it the eight largest city in Illinois, and the 241st largest city in the USA.
- The last four stops of the Chicago’s Metra Milwaukee District/West Line are in the Elgin Area. The Pace bus system serves the communities in the area.
- The Elgin Public Museum founded in 1907, is the oldest purpose built museum in Illinois.
- America’s longest highway, US Route 20, runs through the Elgin Area.
- Illinois Railway Museum, in Union, is the largest railway museum in the United States.
- Muirhead Farmhouse, in Hampshire, is the only farmhouse ever designed and built by Frank Lloyd Wright in his lifetime.
- In 2010, Good Morning America crowned 2nd Street in West Dundee the Best Block in America.
- The Headless Horseman makes an appearance on Halloween every year in Sleepy Hollow. This is a community tradition that brings all the families together.
- Bartlett is home to North America’s largest traditional Hindu mandir, the B.A.P.S. Shri Swaminarayan.
- Carpentersville is home to the 25-acre bike park, Andres Bike Park.
- In 2011, the Village of South was ranked in the CNN/Money’s Top 100 again for economic strength, great job opportunities, top schools and safe streets.
- Santa’s Village Azoosment Park, in East Dundee, is celebrating 55 years of bringing thousands of guests from all over the country!
Arts capital of the suburbs
Elgin is becoming increasingly recognized for its edgy creative scene and vibrant arts community.
- The Elgin Symphony Orchestra performs at the Hemmens Cultural Center.
- Live artist interpretations take place weekly at Side Street Studio.
- Work from local artists lines the walls of Artspace and HOTI Design.
- Festivals include Art & Soul on the Fox and Elgin Fringe Festival.
Fox River Bike Trail
Explore over 40 miles of bike trail built on former railroad tracks, passing through 11 local communities. Find out more about the Fox River Bike Trail.
Golf lovers’ paradise
The Elgin Area is particularly rich in great public golf courses.
- Highlands of Elgin was #2 on Golfweek’s list of the best State by State Courses you can play.
- Highlands of Elgin was also listed #8 by Golfweek in their list of Best Municipal Courses.
- Wing Park Course is the oldest nine-hole municipal golf course in Illinois, established in 1908.
Many of the communities in the Elgin Area were founded to build and service the railroads in the area. The area is now rich in railroad history.
- Take the Metra from Chicago to honor the region’s railroad pride.
- Visit the Fox River Trolley Museum in South Elgin.
- Visit the Illinois Railway Museum, in Union, the largest railway museum in the USA.
Check out our newest Visitors Guide! >>> Click Here
Elgin Summer Theatre 2018 Production AnnouncedThe City of Elgin is excited to announce that it will be partnering with point2productions, a division of Schaumburg on Stage, to present the 2018 Elgin Summer Theater production of SISTER ACT. Sister Act is the feel-good musical comedy smash based on the hit 1992 film that has audiences jumping to their feet! Featuring original music by Tony- and eight-time...
Elgin Area CVB Board Announces New Board Chair and Executive DirectorElgin, IL – The Elgin Area Convention & Visitors Bureau’s board announced Krisilee Murphy as the new Executive Director and Hratch Basmadjian from the Holiday Inn Chicago Northwest – Elgin as the new Board Chair. Murphy, who served as the bureau’s Director of Marketing for nine years, will be responsible for overseeing the entire organization...
RISE Program Receives Funding from Barrington Area Foundations(ELGIN, IL – June 28, 2018) Judson University’s RISE Program recently was awarded donations for student scholarships from two Barrington area foundations. Judson received the first of three generous, annual donations from the Foglia Family Foundation. The gifts will contribute to tuition costs for RISE scholarships, allowing students with intellectual disabilities to participate in the college on-campus...
U-46 Board of Education Expected to Appoint New Member at June 4 MeetingELGIN –On June 4, the School District U-46 Board of Education will bring forward John Devereux of Bartlett as the candidate to fill the vacancy that was created when Traci O’Neal Ellis resigned her Board seat. If approved, Devereux will complete the term which expires after the Spring 2019 elections. Devereux, Chief Actuary for a Chicago-based...
U-46 Elementary Schools Prepare for 2018 Summer Reading ChallengeSchool buildings may soon be closing for the summer, but elementary principals and teachers are reminding their students to continue opening the books. In collaboration with local libraries, the District challenges elementary schools to encourage summer reading through an annual friendly competition that emphasizes how children who read over the break retain the skills they...
EYSO REMEMBERS STU AINSWORTHWith a deep sense of loss, the EYSO family is marking the passing of Sterling E. “Stu” Ainsworth. Stu was a tireless supporter of the EYSO, having served on its Board of Directors since 2005, including several terms as an energetic and exacting president. Stu liked to be right in the middle of the action which, in the...
2018 Memorial Day Events set for Monday, May 28 in ElginThe Elgin Patriotic Memorial Association, in cooperation with the city of Elgin, invites the community to the Memorial Day events onMonday, May 28. For information, including possible weather related changes, visit elginmemorialday.org. Events include: Mount Hope Cemetery, 8:45 a.m. 1001 Villa Street, Elgin, IL There will be a Catholic Mass along with a combined color guard, rifle salute,...
Annual Literacy in Motion Conference is June 19-22(ELGIN, IL – May 15, 2018) Judson University will host the tenth annual Literacy in Motion ConferenceTuesday–Friday, June 19-22, at the Creekside South Education Building (1151 N. State St., Elgin). This annual conference welcomes educators from all over the world to learn from speakers about instructional methods for elevating literacy in K-12 classrooms. Educators who attend the four-day...
Trout Park Baseball Dedicates 28 foot Digital Donated Scoreboard“The new Scoreboard significantly adds to the beauty and ambiance of one of the oldest baseball parks in Illinois”, according to Bill Vincent the director of baseball at Trout Park in Elgin, IL The family of Mike Diekman donated a 28-foot digital scoreboard that will be formally dedicated before the Larkin v. Elgin High...
ESO Musicians to Perform on Chamber Music on the Fox’s In Memoriam: Brewbaker & Brahms May 21Elgin Symphony Orchestra (ESO) musicians Isabella Lippi, concertmaster; Eleanor Bartsch, associate concertmaster; Amanda Grimm, principal viola and cellist Sara Sitzer, will perform on Chamber Music on the Fox’s IN MEMORIAM: BREWBAKER & BRAHMS, an evening of string quartets in honor of and in tribute to composer Daniel Brewbaker, who died in May 2017 and is one of the Fox Valley’s...
View Press Releases
Sign up for the Elgin Area Tourism Bureau’s newsletter
Sign up for our newsletter to find out about upcoming Elgin Area meetings and events, business and networking events, tradeshows and marketing opportunities.