Welcome to the media center for the Elgin Area in Illinois. If you are researching and writing stories on the area, you’ll find information here on events, attractions, businesses and adventures.
Facts about the Elgin Area
- Elgin was founded in 1835 by the Gifford Brothers, who were attracted to the Fox River on their trek west.
- Elgin is named after the Scottish Hymn the song of Elgin.
- Elgin is located 35 miles northwest of Chicago.
- Elgin had a total population of 108,188 as of the 2010 census, making it the eight largest city in Illinois, and the 241st largest city in the USA.
- The last four stops of the Chicago’s Metra Milwaukee District/West Line are in the Elgin Area. The Pace bus system serves the communities in the area.
- The Elgin Public Museum founded in 1907, is the oldest purpose built museum in Illinois.
- America’s longest highway, US Route 20, runs through the Elgin Area.
- Illinois Railway Museum, in Union, is the largest railway museum in the United States.
- Muirhead Farmhouse, in Hampshire, is the only farmhouse ever designed and built by Frank Lloyd Wright in his lifetime.
- In 2010, Good Morning America crowned 2nd Street in West Dundee the Best Block in America.
- The Headless Horseman makes an appearance on Halloween every year in Sleepy Hollow. This is a community tradition that brings all the families together.
- Bartlett is home to North America’s largest traditional Hindu mandir, the B.A.P.S. Shri Swaminarayan.
- Carpentersville is home to the 25-acre bike park, Andres Bike Park.
- In 2011, the Village of South was ranked in the CNN/Money’s Top 100 again for economic strength, great job opportunities, top schools and safe streets.
- Santa’s Village Azoosment Park, in East Dundee, is celebrating 55 years of bringing thousands of guests from all over the country!
Arts capital of the suburbs
Elgin is becoming increasingly recognized for its edgy creative scene and vibrant arts community.
- The Elgin Symphony Orchestra performs at the Hemmens Cultural Center.
- Live artist interpretations take place weekly at Side Street Studio.
- Work from local artists lines the walls of Artspace and HOTI Design.
- Festivals include Art & Soul on the Fox and Elgin Fringe Festival.
Fox River Bike Trail
Explore over 40 miles of bike trail built on former railroad tracks, passing through 11 local communities. Find out more about the Fox River Bike Trail.
Golf lovers’ paradise
The Elgin Area is particularly rich in great public golf courses.
- Highlands of Elgin was #2 on Golfweek’s list of the best State by State Courses you can play.
- Highlands of Elgin was also listed #8 by Golfweek in their list of Best Municipal Courses.
- Wing Park Course is the oldest nine-hole municipal golf course in Illinois, established in 1908.
Many of the communities in the Elgin Area were founded to build and service the railroads in the area. The area is now rich in railroad history.
- Take the Metra from Chicago to honor the region’s railroad pride.
- Visit the Fox River Trolley Museum in South Elgin.
- Visit the Illinois Railway Museum, in Union, the largest railway museum in the USA.
Check out our newest Visitors Guide! >>> Click Here
Annual Literacy in Motion Conference is June 19-22(ELGIN, IL – May 15, 2018) Judson University will host the tenth annual Literacy in Motion ConferenceTuesday–Friday, June 19-22, at the Creekside South Education Building (1151 N. State St., Elgin). This annual conference welcomes educators from all over the world to learn from speakers about instructional methods for elevating literacy in K-12 classrooms. Educators who attend the four-day...
Trout Park Baseball Dedicates 28 foot Digital Donated Scoreboard“The new Scoreboard significantly adds to the beauty and ambiance of one of the oldest baseball parks in Illinois”, according to Bill Vincent the director of baseball at Trout Park in Elgin, IL The family of Mike Diekman donated a 28-foot digital scoreboard that will be formally dedicated before the Larkin v. Elgin High...
ESO Musicians to Perform on Chamber Music on the Fox’s In Memoriam: Brewbaker & Brahms May 21Elgin Symphony Orchestra (ESO) musicians Isabella Lippi, concertmaster; Eleanor Bartsch, associate concertmaster; Amanda Grimm, principal viola and cellist Sara Sitzer, will perform on Chamber Music on the Fox’s IN MEMORIAM: BREWBAKER & BRAHMS, an evening of string quartets in honor of and in tribute to composer Daniel Brewbaker, who died in May 2017 and is one of the Fox Valley’s...
The Community Prayer Breakfast Marks 30th Anniversary with Service Honors and Dynamic Presentation by Author, Speaker and Singer Michele Pillar(ELGIN, IL – May 9) The Judson University 30th anniversary celebration of the Community Prayer Breakfast brought together more than 300 people to Lindner Fitness Center this morning. Although the morning started out rainy outside, the atmosphere indoors couldn’t have been sunnier. Community members, including local dignitaries, civic leaders, school administrators and others, came prepared...
The David C. Cook Mansion in Elgin Receives Grant for Feasibility StudyElgin, IL – In December of 2018, the Gifford Park Association received a matching grant from Landmarks Illinois for the completion of a feasibility study for the David C. Cook Mansion, recently known as the Bowes Retirement Home, located at 105 N. Gifford Street. In 2017, Landmarks Illinois awarded a $2,000 grant through their...
2018 International Handball Federation Takes Place at LifeZone360 in West DundeeThe 2018 International Handball Federation (IHF) Trophy Men’s North American & Caribbean Championship is taking place in West Dundee starting Tuesday, May 8th. Eight teams from five countries will be emerging on LifeZone360 in West Dundee for five days to compete in two categories, Men’s Junior (born on or after January 1, 1998) and Youth...
Music Director Andrew Grams and the ESO Close Season With Epic Mahler Symphony No. 5 May 5 & 6The 2017-18 ESO season finale concerts May 5 & 6, led by Music Director Andrew Grams, feature Gustav Mahler’s epic Symphony No. 5. Written after the composer experienced a close brush with death, it contains a dazzling array of emotions. The famous fourth movement, Adagietto, is a love letter to his wife Alma. It is often performed on its...
U-46 Employees and Financial Operations Department to be Honored for AchievementsThree employees of School District U-46 will be recognized by the Board of Education Monday with an “Accent on Achievement” in honor of their recent statewide awards and accomplishments. The District’s Financial Operations Department will be honored as well for multiple awards it has earned for its clear and transparent financial reports in Fiscal Year 2017 and 2018....
Elgin High School Opens Newly Renovated Welding LabThe welding program at Elgin High School recently earned accreditation from the American Welding Society (AWS), certifying the school’s newly renovated welding lab as an Accredited Testing Facility (ATF). Students and community members will be able to use the facility to complete a welding certification at the U-46 school. “Obtaining ATF designation from AWS is...
Earth Day Celebration set for Saturday, April 21 in ElginThe City of Elgin will host its fifth annual Earth Day Celebration on Saturday, April 21, from 12:00 to 4:00 p.m. at Hawthorne Hill Nature Center, located at 28 Brookside Drive in Elgin. People of all ages are invited to attend this free, family-friendly event and learn about ways to protect the planet. Local organizations will be available to provide information on storm...
View Press Releases
Sign up for the Elgin Area Tourism Bureau’s newsletter
Sign up for our newsletter to find out about upcoming Elgin Area meetings and events, business and networking events, tradeshows and marketing opportunities.