Welcome to the media center for the Elgin Area in Illinois. If you are researching and writing stories on the area, you’ll find information here on events, attractions, businesses and adventures.
Facts about the Elgin Area
- Elgin was founded in 1835 by the Gifford Brothers, who were attracted to the Fox River on their trek west.
- Elgin is named after the Scottish Hymn the song of Elgin.
- Elgin is located 35 miles northwest of Chicago.
- Elgin had a total population of 108,188 as of the 2010 census, making it the eight largest city in Illinois, and the 241st largest city in the USA.
- The last four stops of the Chicago’s Metra Milwaukee District/West Line are in the Elgin Area. The Pace bus system serves the communities in the area.
- The Elgin Public Museum founded in 1907, is the oldest purpose built museum in Illinois.
- America’s longest highway, US Route 20, runs through the Elgin Area.
- Illinois Railway Museum, in Union, is the largest railway museum in the United States.
- Muirhead Farmhouse, in Hampshire, is the only farmhouse ever designed and built by Frank Lloyd Wright in his lifetime.
- In 2010, Good Morning America crowned 2nd Street in West Dundee the Best Block in America.
- The Headless Horseman makes an appearance on Halloween every year in Sleepy Hollow. This is a community tradition that brings all the families together.
- Bartlett is home to North America’s largest traditional Hindu mandir, the B.A.P.S. Shri Swaminarayan.
- Carpentersville is home to the 25-acre bike park, Andres Bike Park.
- In 2011, the Village of South was ranked in the CNN/Money’s Top 100 again for economic strength, great job opportunities, top schools and safe streets.
- Santa’s Village Azoosment Park, in East Dundee, is celebrating 55 years of bringing thousands of guests from all over the country!
Arts capital of the suburbs
Elgin is becoming increasingly recognized for its edgy creative scene and vibrant arts community.
- The Elgin Symphony Orchestra performs at the Hemmens Cultural Center.
- Live artist interpretations take place weekly at Side Street Studio.
- Work from local artists lines the walls of Artspace and HOTI Design.
- Festivals include Art & Soul on the Fox and Elgin Fringe Festival.
Fox River Bike Trail
Explore over 40 miles of bike trail built on former railroad tracks, passing through 11 local communities. Find out more about the Fox River Bike Trail.
Golf lovers’ paradise
The Elgin Area is particularly rich in great public golf courses.
- Highlands of Elgin was #2 on Golfweek’s list of the best State by State Courses you can play.
- Highlands of Elgin was also listed #8 by Golfweek in their list of Best Municipal Courses.
- Wing Park Course is the oldest nine-hole municipal golf course in Illinois, established in 1908.
Many of the communities in the Elgin Area were founded to build and service the railroads in the area. The area is now rich in railroad history.
- Take the Metra from Chicago to honor the region’s railroad pride.
- Visit the Fox River Trolley Museum in South Elgin.
- Visit the Illinois Railway Museum, in Union, the largest railway museum in the USA.
Check out our newest Visitors Guide! >>> Click Here
Sign up for the Elgin Area Tourism Bureau’s newsletter
Sign up for our newsletter to find out about upcoming Elgin Area meetings and events, business and networking events, tradeshows and marketing opportunities.