Behind Elgin Fringe 2020
What is a Fringe Festival?
Fringe Festivals focus on performing arts but also include film, visual arts and music. Performances take place in downtown areas in cafes, theaters, storefronts, and a variety of other locations. The first Fringe Festival started in 1947 in Edinburgh, Scotland, as an alternative festival that played concurrently with the Edinburgh International Festival. There are more than 20 fringe festivals throughout the United States with more in Canada and Europe.
How has Elgin IL, Become an Optimal Location for a Fringe Festival?
Downtown Elgin is a prime location for a fringe festival because of its urban feel and proximity to Chicago. “With the recent space additions of ArtSpace, Side Street, Elgin Art Showcase and the Next Wave Art Salon and Nightmare on Chicago Street events, Elgin has made a name for itself in the arts,” said Sean Hargadon, ECAC Chair and JTC founder. “The city’s unique architecture, easy walking access, and supportive community is an exciting stew of creative activity.”
How to See the Fringe Festival in 2020?
This year Fringe is taking to the internet to continue to bring the performing arts festival to the safety of your home. 2020’s Fringe Festival will be featuring magic, dance, comedy, drama, music, and other acts that just can’t be categorized. You won’t want to miss it!
Performances will go live on the Elgin Fringe Festival’s website Friday, September 4 at 6pm.
Performances will be up for a whole month through Sunday, October 4!
What’s Happening During Fringe 2020?
There are a large number of events taking place for Elgin Fringe. Check out some of the events below! For the most up-to-date information about events taking place this Elgin Fringe Festival, be sure to follow Elgin Fringe Festival on Facebook and check out their website too!
- Live Paint the Moment
Friday, August 28, 2020 at 5 PM – 7 PM
Friday, September 4, 2020 at 5 PM – 7 PM
- Side Street presents: Moana’s Mavens at Martini Room
Friday, October 2, 2020 at 9 PM – 11:30 PM
- Elgin Fringe Festival Visual Art Gallery Opening
Friday, September 4, 2020 at 3 PM – 7 PM
- 2020 Elgin Fringe Festival Preview Picnic
Friday, September 4, 2020 at 4 PM – 7 PM
- 2020 Elgin Fringe Festival Family Fringe!
Saturday, September 5, 2020 at 11 AM – 1 PM
- Meet the Makers! Jacob Mayfield
Tuesday, September 8, 2020 at 7:30 PM – 8:30 PM
- Meet the Makers! Krish Mohan
Wednesday, September 9, 2020 at 12 PM – 1 PM
- Meet the Makers! – Judah Leblang
Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 12 PM – 1 PM
- Meet the Makers! – Mike Speller
Wednesday, September 16, 2020 at 7:30 PM – 8:30 PM
Where Can I Buy Tickets and What’s the Price?
There are various ticket options to ensure each Fringe Festival attendee is getting to see exactly what they want. Check out the information below to see the options!
- Single performance viewing- $5. Includes one performance rental, good for 48 hours.
- Festival Pass- $50. View each performance once at some point during the festival, includes one Elgin Fringe Festival button.
- Forever Fringe Pass- $100. View each performance once at some point during the festival, two Elgin Fringe Festival buttons, one Elgin Fringe Festival poster.
Who Makes the Elgin Fringe Festival Happen?
Stop by and show your support!
- Bravo, the Elgin culture magazine
- Elgin Public House
- The Downtown Neighborhood Association of Elgin
- Blue Box Cafe
- Spring Bird
- Integrity School of Dance
- The Martini Room
- Billy Bricks Wood Fired Pizza
- Fremont St. Theater Company
If you have any questions about tickets, events, or how to get involved in the next fringe festival be sure to reach out to directly!