The Elgin Area’s Ultimate Winter Activities Bucket List
Winter is special. It’s a magical time to explore a different side to the woods. From cold, crisp, frosty mornings, to chilly, starlit evenings. Discover a whole winter wonderland with our icy activities list.
By: Breanne Moreno
- Go ice skating! In the Elgin area, you can go indoors at Leafs Ice Centre, or head outdoors to City Skate downtown Elgin.
- Enjoy skiing, snowboarding or the largest tubing park in the area at Villa Olivia! Whether you’re a seasoned pro or new to skiing, Villa Olivia offers a fun range of options for your whole family. Enjoy the chairlifts and gentle or more challenging slopes; private and group lessons are available.
- Looking for free Elgin area winter activities? Walk or snowshoe the Fox Riverfront and take a look at how beautiful the frozen trees and river look as the sunlight gleams upon them.
- Have fun outdoors doing something other than sledding and tubing! Try snowshoeing along the Fox River Bike Path or any of the areas 20,704 acres of beautiful forest preserves for a new adventure!
- Go cross-country skiing at Bowes Creek Country Club! Call or visit the proshop for more details.
- Ice Fishing is pretty fun and the basics are simple. All you need is a frozen lake and a fishing pole. Enjoy the day with a buddy oron your own. Only available at Paul Wolff Forest Preserve
- Explore one of the best Snowmobiling trails in Illinois on the Great Western Trail
Kane County Forest Preserves Winter Brochure http://www.kaneforest.com/publications/brochures/winterActivities.pdf