Winter Adventures in the Elgin Area
Winter is special. It’s a magical time to explore a different side to the woods. From cold, crisp, frosty mornings, to chilly, starlit evenings. Discover a whole winter wonderland with our icy activities list.
By: Breanne Moreno
- Go ice skating! In the Elgin area, you can go indoors during public skate at Canlan ICE Sports.
- Enjoy skiing, snowboarding or the largest tubing park in the area at Villa Olivia! Whether you’re a seasoned pro or new to skiing, Villa Olivia offers a fun range of options for your whole family. Enjoy the chairlifts and gentle or more challenging slopes; private and group lessons are available.
- Looking for free Elgin area winter activities? Walk or snowshoe the Fox Riverfront and take a look at how beautiful the frozen trees and river look as the sunlight gleams upon them.
- Have fun outdoors doing something other than sledding and tubing! Try snowshoeing along the Fox River Bike Path or any of the areas 20,704 acres of beautiful forest preserves for a new adventure!
- Go cross-country skiing at Bowes Creek Country Club! Call or visit the proshop for more details.
- Ice Fishing is pretty fun and the basics are simple. All you need is a frozen lake and a fishing pole. Enjoy the day with a buddy oron your own. Only available at Paul Wolff Forest Preserve
- Explore one of the best Snowmobiling trails in Illinois on the Great Western Trail
- Go Bald Eagle-Spotting at Gail Borden Library in Elgin.
Who doesn’t love a fun afternoon strolling the aisles of antique and boutique shops. Soulful Sparrow is a boutique shop in downtown Elgin that is perfect for picking up seasonal attires, jewelry and even home decor. The shop is located just steps away from multiple coffee shops offering hot chocolate selections and fresh baked goods to extend your afternoon. If you are looking for a fun trip down memory lane we recommend Elgin Antiques & Uniques or Rediscover Records just a short walk from Soulful Sparrow in downtown Elgin. Shop vintage furniture, collectibles and even jewelry that will make you the bell of the ball. Shoppers have a couple hours should head to State Street Market Shops. Over 30 shops all under one roof offer everything from handmade items to food items. In East Dundee and West Dundee you can find unique vintage and home decor shops like Midwest Retro, Ladybug Lane, and The Half Full Nest that are perfect for finding that piece to complete the look. It does not matter what you are shopping for, the Elgin Area has the shop for you.
More Winter Motivation – Dining, Shopping, and fun for the Kids!
Kane County Forest Preserves Winter Brochure http://www.kaneforest.com/publications/brochures/winterActivities.pdf