The Elgin School District U-46 Planetarium began life as the Elgin National Watch Company Observatory. It was in 1959 that the Elgin National Watch Company donated its observatory to the Elgin U-46 School District.
The school district added a planetarium to the facility in 1963, making it the first school system in the state of Illinois to have its own planetarium. Since its opening in 1963, more than 700,000 school children have attended planetarium programs at the facility.
Be sure to check out their Facebook page for public events!